Wednesday, 29 October 2008

JR - Singing first before hip hop?


When HYPE caught up with JR, he admitted to being a singer before a rap artist. Check out what he told HYPE exclusively:



“I considered myself a singer back then. I got into hip hop in 2002. I was more influence by Shai, Jodeci and Boyz II Men. I did the choir thing – jacaranda children’s choir over 10 years ago. In hip hop music, R&B plays a big role.



The beats make more sense to me than hip hop beats. There’s more of a soulful element. I hope that doesn’t make me soft. I’ll still whip an a*s! Our definition of swagger now is Bathing Ape and me, I’m very old school. I’m simple yet sophisticated.



I’ve never been the flashy type of guy, that’s why people don’t notice who I am. That could be a bad thing, but the music must speak for itself.”