Borning Nazizi Hirji; she’s Kenya’s first lady of hip hop and a member of Necessary Noise. In a male-dominated industry, she has held her own for over a decade, amidst a history of jail stints and violent behaviour.
Through hip hop and Rasta teachings she discovered her spirituality and direction. Recently graduating with a degree in Psychology, she’s all about humility and people.
HYPE: How have you managed to survive in the industry so long without having to get a regular job?
Nazizi: You have to be patient and stick to what you believe in. A lot of MCs believe they can come into the industry with one hit song and think everyone’s gonna know them. So when it doesn’t happen for them in one or two years, they get regular jobs. I survived the last ten years of my life off music, mainly through performances. I made my first cheque when I was sixteen. Because this is how I live, I need to represent it to the fullest. I think some don’t take music seriously.
Read more about Nazizi in the Oct issue of HYPE.