
Internationally acclaimed hip hop photographer, Ernie Paniccioli, will be releasing his 2007 highly successful documentary to the online community later this year, after it captured Best Documentary at the 2007 Tribeca Big Apple Film Festival in New York.
The documentary, titled The Other Side Of Hip Hop features excerpts from Ernie’s life in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn and his work which includes material captured as early as the 1970’s, when hip hop first emerged in the States. The Other Side Of Hip Hop features appearances from industry heavyweights such as hip hop co-founder Africa Bambaataa, Public Enemy front man Chuck D, Salt n Pepa and MC Lyte and hip hop mogul Russell Simmons.
Paniccioli attributed the motivation behind making the documentary to showcasing the decriminalization of hip hop, and to hopefully educate those unfamiliar with our culture and dispel negative stereotypes.
AllHipHop quotes Ernie Paniccioli:” Too many people and too many newspaper people and too many teachers and scholars look at Hip-Hop and automatically think of criminals. I look at it and see poetry. I see dance. I see rhythm. I see a lot of things and that’s what we need to convey to the general audience. And that’s why we call it The Other Side of Hip-Hop, the artistic, creative, powerful, inspirational part of hip-hop.”