Tuesday, 31 March 2009

Slikour interview continued…


HYPE question continued: (Lately we have seen a lot of S.A hip hop artists incorporate Kwaito and house into their music i.e. JR, Shugasmakx. Do you think this is the direction in which South African hip hop is going?)

Slikour: ‘There's nothing wrong with Kwaito but I think if there's no name for what we do let's just leave it as what we all know it as hip hop. Hip Hop in New York (KRS One) is not like southern (Outkast) or west coast (Ice Cube) hip hop but its all under one banner and they're open minded. South Africans need to be more open minded, that’s why hip hop struggles here and a lot of other things we try do as young people. Its because we're always undermining what we don't understand and when what we don't understand works we want to find the first negative thing to associate it with.

'My opinion is South African hip hop will only have direction once every individual can chill and base they remarks on what they like or don't like and stop acting like they're fathers of the game and their opinions are the be all and end all.'

'Hip Hop belongs to me too and I can interpret it and present in anyway I choose and that’s real. Anyone else thinking otherwise hasn't started to make their own decisions - they still studying the template of the game when the game says be yourself, express yourself and acquire mental wealth.’

HYPE: How do you feel about S.A. hip hop artists that are blending their sound with other genres as a marketing technique?

Slikour: ‘Well you need to give me examples of artists that do that because I know of a lot of artist fronting like they something they're not by either being too hard or to soft.

'I'm just against being fake to yourself, not to what the game considers real.’