Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Interview with producer PH - Part 1


After matriculating from Fourways High School in 2001, Gift “Ph” Nkuna began his career as a producer trying to make it in the South African hip hop industry. Eight years later, he has worked with some of the countries best artists and has just released his new mixtape titled The Ph Project, as well as shooting the mixtapes first music video “Sh*t That Made” featuring Reason and Ootz. HYPE caught up with the man himself to talk about The Ph Project and his career plans.

HYPE: What motivated you to make The Ph Project?

Ph: I was motivated by the lack of the type of hip hop I like in the industry. I’m an old school cat, so I’m all about the boom bap, heavy snares and drums. The artists I worked with also motivated the project significantly.

HYPE: Which artists do you feature on your new mixtape?

Ph: I feature a number of artists that include Reason, Driemanskap, X/O, Miss Nthabi, Rantoboko, Spaceman, MXO, Eli, Towdee Mac (Morafe), Shingi and others.

More on the exclusive interview tomorrow!