Wednesday, 17 June 2009

Maliq Finally Drops!


Mailiq from Ba4za has returned to the game with his new mixtape titled Sleepless in Seattle… My Mind On Cap-City. After what had seemed like an eternity in hibernation, Maliq steps back on the scene with the classic Cap City style on an entire beat-tape from renowned American producer, Jake One.

HYPE caught up with Maliq to discuss his new project and what he’s been busy with.

HYPE: Why has it taken you so long to release another project?

Maliq: I've been getting the business side of the machine going at HHH, the label Ba4za, Hakeem oops Flex Boogie, Killa M and myself are under. So I just decided to focus a lot of my energy on Flex Boogie's release, Pens & Swords.

People tend to forget that there's all this hard work before, after and while an artist gets into the studio to record an album. Oh yeah, the new mixtape is also what I've also been busy with. Well if you call a day's labour of love in the studio being busy, because that's how long it took me to record this mixtape.

HYPE: What was the motivation behind the mixtape and its title?

Mailq: The beats had been lying around since 2005 from a beat tape I got from Jake One while in Seattle. The story is I didn’t write anything to them while in Seattle 'cause of the anxiety I guess.

Like 'damn these are beats from the same cat that makes beats for 50 Cent, MF Doom and all my favorite rappers'. So really the title, Sleepless in Seattle, just stemmed from that anxiety. Obviously the My Mind on Cap City part of it is just the state of mind I stay in permanently.